POST-EVACUATION OF SILICONE OIL COMPLICATIONS IN RHEGMATOGENOUS RETINAL DETACHMENT PATIENTS WHO UNDERWENT PARS PLANA VITRECTOMY AT TERTIARY HOSPITAL IN BALI, INDONESIA
Main Article Content
Introduction: Pars plana vitrectomy with silicone oil injection has become a standard procedure to treat retinal detachment with complex cases. Considerations related to the use of silicone oil are the need for additional surgical procedures to remove silicone oil after the retinal condition is declared stable or because emulsification of silicone oil has occurred.
Methods: An analytical observational study with a cross-sectional approach. Data were collected retrospectively by collecting medical records of patients who underwent silicone oil evacuation in 2021.
Result: The research subjects were 23 people, where 52.2% of the subjects were women with a median age of 51 years. Most of the subjects (65.2%) had no complications, with the most complications occurring were secondary glaucoma (13%) and redetached retina (13%). There was no statistically significant difference between visual acuity before and after the evacuation of silicone oil with a P value of 0.202 and there was no statistically significant difference between IOP before and after evacuation of silicone oil with a P value of 0.132.
Conclusion: Evacuation of silicone oil is a follow-up action after PPV with SO tamponade. Complications which may arise are detach dan glaucoma. There was no significant difference in visual acuity and IOP before and after SO evacuation.
Evacuation of silicone oil, rhegmatogenous retinal detachment, postoperative complications.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
2. Schwartz SG, Flynn HW, Jr., Lee WH, Wang X. Tamponade in surgery for retinal detachment associated with proliferative vitreoretinopathy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014(2):CD006126.
3. Issa, R., Xia, T., Zarbin, M.A., Bhagat, N. 2019. Silicone Oil Removal: Post-operative COmplications. Eye. 2020(34) 537-543. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41433-019-0551-7.Choudhary MM, Choudhary MM, Saeed MU, Ali A. Removal of silicone oil: prognostic factors and incidence of retinal redetachment. Retina. 2012;32(10):2034-8.
4. Triwijayanti et al. The Evaluation of Silicon Oil Evacuation Procedure In Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital Indonesia. International Journal of Retina, [S.l.], v. 2, n. 1, feb. 2019. ISSN 2614-8536.
5. Leeuwen, R. V., Haarman, A.E.G., Put, M.A.J., Klaver, C.C.W., Los, L.I. Association of Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment Incident with Myopia Prevalence in the Netherlands. Jama Ophthalmol. 2021; 139 (1):85-92. doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2020.5114
6. Yu Y, An M, Mo B, Yang Z, Liu W. Risk factors for choroidal detachment following rhegmatogenous retinal detachment in a chinese population.
7. Jia LY, Sun YX, Zhang YP, Ma K. Risk Factors of Recurrent Retinal Detachment Following Surgical Treatment for Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment: A Retrospective Study. Risk Manag Healthc Policy. 2020 Dec 30;13:3165-3171. doi: 10.2147/RMHP.S288777BMC Ophthalmol. 2016 Aug 9;16:140. doi: 10.1186/s12886-016-0319-9.
8. Lam RF, Cheung BT, Yuen CY, Wong D, Lam DS, Lai WW. Retinal redetachment after siliconee oil removal in proliferative vitreoretinopathy: a prognostic factor analysis. Am J Ophthalmol. 2008 Mar;145(3):527-533. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2007.10.015. Epub 2008 Jan 11. PMID: 18191093.
9. Murray, T.G., Villegas, V.M. (2021). Phaco-vitrectomy. In: Jain, A., Natarajan, S., Saxena, S. (eds) Cutting-edge Vitreoretinal Surgery. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-33-4168-5_40
10. Ghoraba HH, Leila M, Shebl M, Abdelhafez MA, Abdelfattah HM. Long-Term Outcome After Siliconee Oil Removal in Eyes with Myopic Retinal Detachment Associated with Macular Hole. Clin Ophthalmol. 2021 Mar 8;15:1003-1011. doi: 10.2147/OPTH.S298565
11. Goezinne F, La Heij EC, Berendschot TT, Liem AT, Hendrikse F. Risk factors for redetachment and worse visual outcome after silicone oil removal in eyes with complicated retinal detachment. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2007;17(4):627-37.
12. Pastor S (2001) Cyclophotocoagulation: A report by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Ophthalmology 108(11):2130–2138
13. Budenz DL, Taba KE, Feuer WJ et al (2001) Surgical management of secondary glaucoma after pars plana vitrectomy and silicone oil injection for complex retinal detachment. Ophthalmology 108:1628-1632
14. Choudhary MM, Choudhary MM, Saeed MU, Ali A. Removal of silicone oil: prognostic factors and incidence of retinal redetachment. Retina. 2012;32(10):2034-8
15. Abu-Yaghi, N. E.,Gharbieh, Y. A. A., Al-Amer, A. M., AlRyalat, S. A. S., Nawaiseh, M. B., Darweesh, M. J., Alkukhun, L. R., Abed, A. M., Saleh, O. A., Ababneh, O. H. 2020. CHaracteristics, Fates and Complications of Long Term SIlicone Oil Tamponade After Pars Plana Vitrectomy. BMC Ophthalmology. 20:336. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12886-020-01608-5
16. He, Y., Zeng, S., Zhang, Y., Zhang, J. 2018. Risk Factors for Retinal Redetachment AFter SIlicone Oil Removal: A Systemic Review and Meta-analysis. Opthalmic Surgery, Lasers & Imaging Retina. 49(6):416-424). doi: 10.3928/23258160-20180601-06