Main Article Content
Rhegmatogenous retinal detachmet (RRD) is an ophthalmology urgency that can cause blindness if treated late. Incidence of RRD has increasing overtime. We describe the clinical characteristics of vitrectomy patients in RRD cases at prof dr R D Kandou hospital, north Sulawesi Province, Manado City, Indonesia.
The study was conducted based on a retrospective search on the medical record data of 72 RRD patients who underwent vitrectomy in the period June 2018-2020.
The most gender was male as many as 43 patients (59.70%), the most age were in the 51-60 years range as many as 33 patients (45.83%), the eyes affected by RRD were mostly right eyes as many as 41 patients (56, 9%), the location of the break was mostly in the superotemporal area as many as 28 (38.9%), the status of the macula was mostly macular off as many as 44 patients (61.10%), the anesthesia used was local anesthesia in 69 patients (95.80 %), the time taken for the procedure was more than 1 month for all patients.
The clinical characteristics of RRD patients at Prof dr R D Kandou Hospital are in line with trends in several places in the world. Time to do vitrectomy need to be evaluated and corrected to improve visual prognosis.
Rhegmatogenous Retinal detachment
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
2. Yorston D, Donachie PH, Laidlaw D, Steel DH, Sparrow JM, Aylward G, et al. Factors affecting visual recovery after successful repair of macula-off retinal detachments: findings from a large prospective UK cohort study. Eye. 2021;35(5):1431-9.URL: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41433-020-1021-y
3. Oku K, Tokutsu K, Matsuda S, Kondo H. Epidemiologic study of rhegmatogenous retinal detachment in Japan from the Diagnosis Procedure Combination database over a 2-year period (2014–2015). Japanese Journal of Ophthalmology. 2021:1-6. URL: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10384-021-00867-z
4. Li JQ, Welchowski T, Schmid M, Holz FG, Finger RP. Incidence of rhegmatogenous retinal detachment in europe–a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ophthalmologica. 2019;242(2):81-6. URL:https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/499489
5. Nielsen BR, Alberti M, Bjerrum SS, la Cour M. The incidence of rhegmatogenous retinal detachment is increasing. Acta ophthalmologica. 2020;98(6):603-6.URL: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/aos.14380
6. Zaletel Benda P, Vratanar B, Petrovski G, Gavrić AU, Matović K, Gornik A, et al. Prognostic Factor Analysis of Visual Outcome after Vitrectomy for Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment. Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2020;9(10):3251.URL: https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/9/10/3251
7. Popovic MM, Muni RH, Nichani P, Kertes PJ. Pars Plana Vitrectomy, Scleral Buckle and Pneumatic Retinopexy for the Management of Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment: A Meta-analysis. Survey of Ophthalmology. 2021.URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0039625721001302
8. Simanjuntak GW, Djatikusumo A, Adisasmita A, Nadjib M, Mailangkay H, Hussain N. Cost analysis of vitrectomy under local versus general anesthesia in a developing country. Clinical Ophthalmology (Auckland, NZ). 2018;12:1987.URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6186907/
9. Bechrakis N, Dimmer A. Rhegmatogenous retinal detachment: Epidemiology and risk factors. Der Ophthalmologe: Zeitschrift der Deutschen Ophthalmologischen Gesellschaft. 2018;115(2):163-78.URL: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29352407
10. Van de Put MA, Hooymans JM, Los LI, Group DRRDS. The incidence of rhegmatogenous retinal detachment in The Netherlands. Ophthalmology. 2013;120(3):616-22.URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0161642012008603
11. Mitry D, Charteris DG, Yorston D, Siddiqui MR, Campbell H, Murphy A-L, et al. The epidemiology and socioeconomic associations of retinal detachment in Scotland: a two-year prospective population-based study. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. 2010;51(10):4963-8.URL: https://iovs.arvojournals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2126281
12. Kim J, Ryu SY, Hong JH, Chung EJ. Incidence and risk factors for retinal detachment after cataract surgery in Korea: a nationwide population-based study from 2011 to 2015. Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. 2019;257(10):2193-202.URL: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00417-019-04423-x
13. Chou S, Yang C, Lee C, Yang C, Ho T, Huang J, et al. Characteristics of primary rhegmatogenous retinal detachment in Taiwan. Eye. 2007;21(8):1056-61. URL: https://www.nature.com/articles/6702397
14. Sheu S-J, Ger L-P, Chen J-F. Male sex as a risk factor for pseudophakic retinal detachment after cataract extraction in Taiwanese adults. Ophthalmology. 2007;114(10):1898-903. e1. URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0161642007002291
15. Sasaki K, Ideta H, Yonemoto J, Tanaka S, Hirose A, Oka C. Risk of retinal detachment in patients with lattice degeneration. Japanese journal of ophthalmology. 1998;42(4):308-13. URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0021515598000124
16. Hayashi K, Sato T, Manabe S-i, Hirata A. Sex-related differences in the progression of posterior vitreous detachment with age. Ophthalmology Retina. 2019;3(3):237-43. URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2468653018304998
17. Mitry D, Tuft S, McLeod D, Charteris DG. Laterality and gender imbalances in retinal detachment. Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. 2011;249(7):1109-10. URL: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00417-010-1529-0
18. Sevillano C, Viso E, Moreira-Martínez S, Parafita-Fernández A, Sampil M, Blanco MJ. Laterality of Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment. Journal of Ophthalmology and Research. 2021;4:294-300. URL: https://fortuneonline.org/articles/laterality-of-rhegmatogenous-retinal-detachment.pdf
19. Ito M, Shimizu K, Kawamorita T, Ishikawa H, Sunaga K, Komatsu M. Association between ocular dominance and refractive asymmetry. Journal of Refractive Surgery. 2013;29(10):716-20. URL: https://journals.healio.com/doi/abs/10.3928/1081597X-20130813-02
20. JENSEN OL. Pterygium, the dominant eye and the habit of closing one eye in sunlight. Acta ophthalmologica. 1982;60(4):568-74. URL: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1755-3768.1982.tb00602.x
21. Torrado CS, Viso E, Moreira S, Blanco MJ, Gude F. Rhegmatogenous retinal detachment and solar radiation in Northwestern Spain. Ophthalmologica. 2020;243(1):51-7. URL: https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/503070
22. Shunmugam M, Shah AN, Hysi PG, Williamson TH. The pattern and distribution of retinal breaks in eyes with rhegmatogenous retinal detachment. American journal of ophthalmology. 2014;157(1):221-6. e1.URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0002939413006181
23. Williamson TH, Lee EJ, Shunmugam M. Characteristics of rhegmatogenous retinal detachment and their relationship to success rates of surgery. Retina. 2014;34(7):1421-7. URL: https://journals.lww.com/retinajournal/Abstract/2014/07000/CHARACTERISTICS_OF_RHEGMATOGENOUS_RETINAL.20.aspx
24. Laatikainen L, Tolppanen EM. Characteristics of rhegmatogenous retinal detachment. Acta ophthalmologica. 1985;63(2):146-54. URL: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1755-3768.1985.tb01527.x
25. Lewis H. Peripheral retinal degenerations and the risk of retinal detachment. American journal of ophthalmology. 2003;136(1):155-60. URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0002939403001442
26. Zhou C, Lin Q, Chen F. Prevalence and predictors of metamorphopsia after successful rhegmatogenous retinal detachment surgery: a cross-sectional, comparative study. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2017;101(6):725-9. URL: https://bjo.bmj.com/content/101/6/725?papetoc=&utm_source=trendmd&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bjo&utm_content=consumer&utm_term=1-A
27. Lee E, Williamson TH, Hysi P, Shunmugam M, Dogramaci M, Wong R, et al. Macular displacement following rhegmatogenous retinal detachment repair. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2013;97(10):1297-302. URL: https://bjo.bmj.com/content/97/10/1297.short
28. dell'Omo R, Scupola A, Viggiano D, Sammarco MG, De Turris S, Romano MR, et al. Incidence and factors influencing retinal displacement in eyes treated for rhegmatogenous retinal detachment with vitrectomy and gas or silicone oil. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. 2017;58(6):BIO191-BIO9. URL: https://iovs.arvojournals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2644898
29. Riaz S, Khan MT, Ahmad M, Butt NH, Chaudhary S. Shifting Paradigm: From General Anesthesia to Local Anesthesia in Posterior Segment Surgeries. Pakistan Journal of Ophthalmology. 2020;36(3). URL: https://www.pjo.org.pk/index.php/pjo/article/download/1001/809
30. Marova N, Vasilyev YI, Klyushnikova E, Kononov A, Polyakova T. LOCAL ANESTHESIA FOR VITREO-RETINAL SURGERY. Regional anesthesia and acute pain management. 2018;12(1):24-9. URL: https://journals.eco-vector.com/1993-6508/article/view/42868
31. Eijk ES, Busschbach JJ, Timman R, Monteban HC, Vissers JM, van Meurs JC. What made you wait so long? Delays in presentation of retinal detachment: knowledge is related to an attached macula. Acta ophthalmologica. 2016;94(5):434-40. URL: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/aos.13016