Main Article Content
Background: Silicone oil (SO) removal following vitrectomy and injection of silicone oil may cause retinal redetachments (re-RD), with duration of tamponade being considered as the risk factor. So, we wanted to evaluate the duration of silicone oil tamponade as a risk factor of retinal redetachments after silicone oil removal.
Result: Ten studies comprising of 2120 eyes were included in this review. Pooled analysis showed no statistically significant difference between the re-RD group and the non-re-RD group in terms of SO duration (mean difference -1.87 months; 95% CI, -3.87 to 0.13; p=0.07; I2=53.1%). The re-RD rate did not differ between the shorter and longer duration of SO tamponade (OR=1.44; 95% CI, 0.54 to 3.82; p=0.47; I2: 63.3%).
Conclusion: The duration of SO tamponade was not associated with re-RD after SO removal.
silicone oil, silicon oil tamponade, silicon oil removal, retinal detachment
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
2. Moisseiev J, Barak A, Manaim T, Treister G. Removal of silicone oil in the management of glaucoma in eyes with emulsified silicone. Retina. 1993;13(4):290-295.
3. Jonas BJ, Knorr HLJ, Rank RM, Budde WM. Retinal detachment after removal of intraocular silicone oil tamponade. Br J Ophthalmol 2001;85:1203-7.
4. Teke MY, Balikoglu-Yilmaz M, Yuksekkaya, Citirik M, Elgin U, Kose T, et al. Surgical outcomes and incidence of retinal detachment in cases with complicated retinal detachment after silicone oil removal. Retina 2014;34(10):1926-38.
5. Unlu N, Kacaoglan H, Acar MA, Sargin M, Aslan BS, Duman S. Outcome of complex retinal detachment surgery after silicone oil removal. Int Ophthalmol 2004;25:33-6.
6. Tan HS, Dell’Omo R, Mura M. Silicone oil removal after rhegmatogenous retinal detachment: comparing techniques. Eye 2012;26:444-7.
7. Goezinne F, La Heij EC, Berendschot TTJM, Liem ATA, Hendrikse F. Risk factors for redetachment and worse visual outcome after silicone oil removal in eyes with complicated retinal detachment. Eur J Ophthalmol 2007;17:627-37.
8. Falkner CI, Binder S, Kruger A. Outcome after silicone oil removal. Br J ohthalmol 2001;85:1324-7.
9. Choudhary MM, Choudhary MM, Saeed MU, Ali A. Removal of silicone oil. Retina 2012;32(10):2034-8.
10. La Heij EC, Hendrikse F, Kessels AGH. Results and complications of temporary silicone oil tamponade in patients with complicated retinal detachments. Retina 2001;21(2):107-14.
11. Scholda C, Egger S, Lakits A, Walch K, von Eckardstein E, Biowski R. Retinal detachment after silicone oil removal. Acta Ohpthalmol Scand 2000;78:182-6.
12. Shah R, Byanju R, Pradhan S. Outcomes of silicone oil removal in complex retinal detachment. Nepal J Ophthalmol 2018;10(20):124-9.
13. Casswell AG, Gregor ZJ. Silicone oil removal. I. The effect on the complications of silicone oil. Br J Ophthalmol. 1987;71(12):893-897.
14. Hutton WL, Azen SP, Blumenkranz MS, et al. The effects of silicone oil removal. Silicone Study Report 6. Arch Ophthalmol 1994; 112: 778-85.
15. Abu El-Asrar AM, Al-Bishi SM, Kangave D. Outcome of temporary silicone oil tamponade in complex rhegmatogenous retinal detachment. Eur J Ophthalmol 2003;13:474-81.
16. Stappler T, Morphis G, Irigoyen C, Heimann H. Is there a role for long-term silicone oil tamponade for more than twelve months in vitreoretinal surgery? Ophthalmologica 2011;226(suppl 1):36-41.
17. Schwarzer H, Mazinani B, Plange N, Fuest M, Walter P, Roessler G. Clinical observations and occurrence of complications following heavy silicone oil surgery. BioMed Research Intl 2014. doi:10.115/2014/706809
18. Moisseiev E, Ohana O, Gershovitch L, Barak A. Visual prognosis and complications following silicone oil removal. Eur J Ophtalmol 2013;23(2):236-41.
19. Halberstadt M, Domig D, Kodjikian L, Koerner F, Garweg JG. PVR recurrence and the timing of silicone oil removal. Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd 2006;223:361-6.
20. Azen SP, Scott IU, Flynn HW, Lai M, Topping TM, Benati L, et al. Silicone oil in the repair of complex retinal detachment. Ophthalmology 1998;105:1587-97.
21. Morphis G, Irigoyen C, Eleuteri A, Stappler T, Pearce I, Heimann H. Retrospective review of 50 eyes with long-term silicone oil tamponade for more than 12 months. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2012;250:645-52.
22. He Y, Zeng S, Zhang Y, Zhang J. Risk factors for retinal redetachment after silicone oil removal: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina 2018;49:416-24.
23. Al-Wadani SF, Abouammoh MA, El-Asrar AMA. Visual and anatomical outcomes after silicone oil removal in patients with complex retinal detachment. Int Ophthalmol 2014;34:549-56.