Main Article Content
Introduction: Hypertensive disorders complicate 5-10% in all pregnant and together form the deadly triad and hemorrhage and heart disease that contribute greatly to maternal morbidity or mortality. This study aims to identify retinal changes in pregnancy-induced hypertension and analyze the association between retinal changes and hypertension severity.
Method: A total of 100 pregnant admitted with pregnancy-induced hypertension(PIH) were included. Patients with pre-existing hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and renal diseases were excluded from the study. The vision, anterior segment, and Fundus were examined.
Result: Higher number of PIH were recorded in the 21-30 years age group. Fifty-four pregnant women suffered from mild preeclampsia, 40 pregnant women with severe preeclampsia, and six pregnant women with eclampsia with seizures. 41% of pregnant had normal fundus, and 24% of pregnant had hypertensive retinopathy. Whereas grade 2,3, and 4 retinopathy was observed in 22%, 6%, and 2% of pregnant women. Two percent of pregnants had macular edema, and 3% had central serous retinopathy. No association was observed between the fundus findings with age/gravida. Whereas a significant positive correlation was observed between the fundus findings and hypertension severity (P < 0.001).
Conclusion: Overall, 54% of pregnants were recorded with hypertensive retinopathy. A positive correlation was observed between fundus changes with the hypertension severity. This study reports the importance of routine fundus examination in pregnant with hypertension. Retinal change during pregnancy is an important indicator to decide the pregnancy termination or any other opt.
pregnancy-induced hypertension, fundus examination, retinopathy
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
2. Say L, Chou D, Gemmill A, Moller AB, Daniels J, Temmerman M, et al. Global causes of maternal death: a WHO systematic analysis. Lancet Glob Health. 2014;2(6):323-33.
3. Roberts JM, August PA, Bakris G, Barton JR, Bernstein IM, Druzin M, et al. Hypertension in pregnancy. Report of the American college of obstetricians and gynecologists' task force on hypertension in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2013;122(5):1122-31.
4. Jaffe G, Schatz H. Ocular manifestations of preeclampsia. Am J Opthalmol 1987;103(3 Pt 1):309- 315..
5. Bharathi NR, Raju NRS, Prasad PK, et al. Fundus changes in pregnancy induced hypertension: a clinical study. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences 2015;4(9):1552-1562.
6. Javedekar SD, Javadekar DP, Joshi K, et al. Fundoscopic changes in pregnant mother with hypertension complicating pregnancy and various parameters of foetus. International Journal of Recent Trends in Science and Technology 2013;7(3):110-113.
7. Kurdoglu Z, Kurdoglu M, Gülçin Ay E, et al. Retinal findings in cases of preeclampsia. Perinatal Journal 2011;19(2):60-63.
8. Richard RO. Pregnancy induced hypertension (preeclampsia-ecclampsia). In: Schachat AP, Murphy RB, editors. Retina. 2 nd ed. St. Louis: Mosby; 1994. p. 1405-12
9. Reddy SC, Naliah S, Rani S. Fundus changes in pregnancy induced hypertension. Int J Ophthalmol 2012;5(6):694-697.
10. Nandha KV, Swamyraj SV, Hassan KM, et al. Fundus changes in pregnancy induced hypertension in a university hospital of South India. J. Evid. Based Med. Healthc. 2020; 7(8), 404-408).
11. Tadin I, Bojić L, Mimica M, et al. Hypertensive retinopathy and preeclampsia. Coll Antropol 2001;25 Suppl:77-81.
12. Raidi AR, Nik-Ahmad-Zuky NL, Bakiah S, et al. Hypertensive retinopathy and visual outcome in hypertensive disorders in pregnancy. Med J Malaysia 2011;66(1):42-47.
13. Karki P, Malla P, Das H, Uprety DK. Association between pregnancy-induced hypertensive fundus changes and fetal outcomes. Nepal J Ophthalmol 2010;2:26-30,
14. Sunness JS. The pregnant woman′s eye. Surv Ophthalmol 1988;32:219-38,
15. Ober RR. Pregnancy induced hypertension. In: Ryan SJ, editor. Retina. Toronto: Mosby Publications; 1994. p. 441-7,
16. Shah AP, Lune AA, Magdum RM, Deshpande H, Shah AP, Bhavsar D. Retinal changes in pregnancy-induced hypertension. Med J DY Patil Univ 2015;8:304-7