Main Article Content
Introduction: To present the clinical findings of Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) Retinopathy and its rapid resolutions following treatment with steroid.
Case report: A 14-year-old female patient presented with decreased vision in the left eye. There was history of AIHA. Visual acuity was 1/60 in LE and 6/6 in RE. There was conjunctival pallor, and the other anterior segment were unremarkable. Fundus examination of left eye revealed flame shaped and dot blot hemorrhage, roth’s spots, optic disc swelling, venous turtuosity, and elevated macula. There were afferent pupil defect, red green deficiency, and contrast sensitivity decline. Hematological evaluation revealed anemia. A MRI Head and Orbital examination were unremarkable.
Discussion: This patient was assessed with LE Anemic retinopathy due to AIHA. The patient’s visual acuity improved as the retinopathy resolved after 1 month of oral steroid therapy.
Conclusion: Anemia may play a role in the occurrence of retinopathy. The diagnosis of retinopathy can be made by linking ophthalmic fndings with positive serological test. Accurate comprehensive examination can establish the systemic diagnosis, and control of systemic parameters will improve retinopathy, reverse vision loss, and avoid permanent blindness
Autoimmune hemolytic anemia, pediatric AIHA, Retinal Hemorrhage
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
2. Chew FL, Tajunisah I. Retinal phlebitis associated with autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Ocular immunology and inflammation. 2009 Dec 1;17(6):394-5.G
3. Thomas AS, Walter SD, Fekrat S. Bilateral Prefoveal SubInternal Limiting Membrane
Hemorrhage in Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging Retina. 2016 Dec 16;47(12):1151-3.
4. Reddy VS, Samayam P, Ravichander B, Bai U. Autoimmune hemolytic anemia: mixed type—A case report. Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion. 2011 Jun 1;27(2):107-10.
5. Sankaran J, Rodriguez V, Jacob EK, Kreuter JD, Go RS. Autoimmune hemolytic anemia in children: Mayo Clinic experience. Journal of pediatric hematology/oncology. 2016 Apr 1;38(3):e120-4.
6. Carraro MC, Rossetti L, Gerli GC. Prevalence of retinopathy in patients with anemia or thrombocytopenia. European journal of haematology. 2001 Oct;67(4):238-44.
7. Singh B, Gupta M, Ahmad E, Srivastava S, Ranjan R, Prabhakar T. Retinal Changes in Anaemia: An Observational Study.
8. Garg P, Agrawal A. Ocular manifestations in patients with anaemia. J. Evid. Based Med. Healthc. 2017;4(79):4646-9.
9. Satish SC, Tapan JP. Ocular manifestations in patients with nutritional anaemia. Indian J of Basic and Applied Med Research 2014;3(4):89-94.
10. Shah G, Modi R. Anemic Retinopathy: Case Reports And Disease Features. Retina today. 2016 May
11. Goel N. The “Double-Ring Sign” in anemic retinopathy evaluated by spectral domain optical coherence tomography. Retinal Cases and Brief Reports. 2018 Jul 1;12(3):247-50.
12. Varner P. Isolated unilateral disk edema. Clin Optom. 2011;3:13-55.
13. Badaró E, Novais E, Prodocimo LM, Sallum JM. Spectral-domain optical coherence tomography for macular edema. The Scientific World Journal. 2014;2014.
14. Mansour AM, Lee JW, Yahng SA, Kim KS, Shahin M, Hamerschlak N, Belfort RN, Kurup SK. Ocular manifestations of idiopathic aplastic anemia: retrospective study and literature review. Clinical ophthalmology (Auckland, NZ). 2014;8:777.
15. American Academy of Ophthalmology. Basic and Clinical Science Course Section 5. NeuroOphthalmology. USA: American Academy of Ophthalmology 2016-2017.
16. Bass GF, Tuscano ET, Tuscano JM. Diagnosis and classification of autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Autoimmunity reviews. 2014 Apr 1;13(4-5):560-4.